Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Woodworking + Toddlers

9 December 2005 042


Here's Michael at his woodworking class. Normally you wouldn't expect woodworking and toddlers to be a winning combination. However, this woodworking class is a San Diego treasure. The class is held in a converted bus called The Wood Bus. See below for bus.


9 December 2005 039


Each child has a station with all the tools you need to make a little toy or object. The work area is adjustable up and down, and everyone does their own work. Everyone gets to choose their project. The bus is jam-packed with tools and plans and the woman that runs this venture is one of the neatest people I've met in a long time. She comes around to all the schools and teaches basic woodworking.

The day that this photo was taken, one of the parents at the school walked up to her and said "You probably don't remember me, but I took your class, and I am going to sign up my son for your next session."

Turns out she's been at this for 30-some years. She told me that the day she runs into a grandchild, she might think about quitting.

She's had two or three buses over her career as a woodworking teacher, and said that getting a new one requires a tremendous amount of work to outfit. After seeing the inside, I believe it. I hope we get to do this class again sometime. Michael totally loved it. He made a walkie-talkie with a flip-up antenna and a little plane with spinning propeller. What a great experience he had!

1 comment:

Matthew Bamberg said...

Love pics of busses, inside and out.