Monday, January 10, 2005

Sewing Project Update #1: The Ranger Burnoose.

All right, this one was supposed to be the easy one. I say "supposed to be" because it was, really, supposed to be easy. The fabric isn't as fancy or expensive or textured as The Dandelion Burnoose will be. The effect is supposed to be simpler. Plus, it's the "practice" burnoose to get the design, pattern, and execution down before cutting up ten dollar a yard fabric. Ok so it's not as bad as the forty dollar a yard dupioni silk I managed to turn into confetti one time, but it's expensive enough to have to make sure I know what I'm doing.

I'm one of those people that follows directions. A whole other subject is the instructions that came with Frank, my new coffee machine. I'll post about that soon. But, in general, I follow instructions. That is, when they can be interpreted. I could not understand approximately 72f the instructions to make this particular item. So, I winged it.

There is this strange thing that happens with fabric. Either the bias is really stretchy or it's not. When you try and sew a stretchy fabric with a not-so-stretchy fabric, the result is... Interesting. So, that's what deal was tonight. It was like the fabrics came alive, and slid around to escape The Great Needle from the Sky.

It wouldn't be that much of a challenge if it wasn't a huge amount of fabric. Over the course of 9 inches, a lot can be fudged.

Ok maybe that idea didn't come out quite right, but you get the idea.

Here are some photos of tonight's progress on The Ranger Burnoose. The outer layer is a dark green microfiber type suede. The lining is a polycotton "burnt out" leaf-themed design. White tassel is from the home decorating section.









No comments: